Electronic Scottoiler Revival

Defunct eOiler

My electronic Scottoiler died, again! So this time I decided to pull out the electronics to see if it really was just switches failure, in which case maybe the electronics could be re-housed.

A year or so back my Scott eSystem oiler stopped working when water got into the screen area. So I sent the unit back to Scottoiler in the UK to be replaced.  To cut a long story short, the faulty unit never made it through customs and was returned to sender (me).  In the meantime Scottoiler, to their credit, sent me a replacement.  At the outset there were problems with the replacement unit often rebooting on motorcycle start-up and losing all its settings. Although I commented on this to Scottoiler, this time they didn't offer any resolution and frankly I didn't want to go through another shipment saga, so ended up fabricating a power filter, which partially cured the problem.  Some months later, water got into the screen again and shortly thereafter it stopped working.

So now with two defunct control units I decided to take apart the original to see if it could be fixed.  These units are sealed, although obviously not entirely waterproof, so I opened one by carefully cutting a shallow slot in the plastic case all the way around just under the screen, using a Dremel rotary tool with a cutting disk.

Defunct wafer switchesInside was an electronics circuit board with an attached LCD screen, with a transparent plastic screen overlay containing thin 'wafer' sElectronics Exposedwitches that connect to the circuit board via a ribbon cable.  Looking at this it seemed likely that any water in the switches would quickly corrode their very thin metal, causing them to stop working.  So I connected a 12 volts supply to the device which booted up, then shorted across the ribbon cable to simulate a switch, and low and behold I was able to control the settings again.  Ok, so if the thing could be re-housed I would once again have a working system.

 

 

The trick then was to find a suitable waterproof container and switches.  After a bit of research I decided to use an IP67 sealed die cast aluminium box with a couple of IP67 waterproof switches. Although this provides a larger unit than the original, the choice of enclosures and switches is rather limited here in New Zealand.  On the positive side though a metal box is very tough and should be able to be configured to be more waterproof than the original.

First job was to re-wire the electronics so that it would use a couple of new switches, replacing the original control unit wafer switches, which have caused both of my eOilers to fail.  It seems to me that this type of switch in a less than fully sealed housing, is just not waterproof or corrosion proof enough to withstand such a hostile environment as a motorcycle handlebars.

Re-wired electronics boardScreen wired for new switches

A fine soldering iron and some thin, silver plated 'wire wrap' was used, with the new connections held firmly in place with some hot glue.  New power supply and pump control connections (3 wires) were also wired up.

 

 

 

The most difficult part of the job was mounting the electronics in the new die cast aluminium enclosure, ensuring that the LCD screen lines up with the cutout and that everything is sealed. In the photo you can also see the two new push button switches.  The tree like black piece at the top right is an aluminium strap used for mounting the box to the motorcycle handlebars.   The strap is clamped in place using a couple of stainless Jubilee clips.

New aluminium enclosure

 

In the last photo the finished unit is shown working on the motorcycle.  Its great to have my Scottoiler operating again.  Not only does this one not have the problem of resetting intermittently upon engine startup, but I expect it to withstand the handlebar rigours and last much longer than the original. Time will tell!

 

The re-housed working unit